The Jets Take Part in NFL/Nike Partnership
The New York Jets are partnering with Nike to create the New Jersey High School Girls Flag Football League. The announcement came on Wednesday in honor of the 35th annual National Girls & Women in Sports Day (NGWSD).
The pilot league will have eight participating high schools from New Jersey. The season will begin this spring.
Each of the participating schools will receive an $11,000 grant and equipment from the Jets and Nike to cover all expenses of the program. The teams will receive uniforms from Nike from their new Girls Flag Football line of apparel.
National Girls & Women in Sports Day is celebrated throughout the country on February 3 and is backed by the Women's Sports Foundation, an organization founded by tennis star Billie Jean King. Every year, this celebration inspires girls and women to play and be active, to realize their full power.
The eight schools participating in the New Jersey High School Girls Flag Football League:
- East Orange Campus (East Orange, NJ)
- Indian Hills High School (Oakland, NJ)
- Irvington High School (Irvington, NJ)
- Malcolm X Shabazz High School (Newark, NJ)
- Morristown High School (Morristown, NJ)
- Passaic County Technical Institute (Wayne, NJ)
- Ramapo High School (Franklin Lakes, NJ)
- William L. Dickinson High School (Jersey City, NJ)
The partnership with the Jets is part of a new grant initiative by Nike and the NFL that commits a total of $5 million in product to growing flag football within high school athletics. This multi-year initiative will provide a one-time donation of up to $100,000 in product to state athletic associations that offer girls flag football as a high school sport or demonstrate progress toward that goal.
The long term goal for the Jets and Nike is to have the sport adopted as an official high school statewide championship sport.
- Hudson Catholic Cancels Football Season Amid Depleted Roster - September 21, 2023
- Pingry Sophomore Casey Phair Makes World Cup History - July 26, 2023
- Caleb McConnell Goes Undrafted, Signs Exhibit-10 Deal With OKC - June 23, 2023