Devils, people playing ice hockey
Photo courtesy of Unsplash

Princeton Extends Losing Streak to 4

Despite a late two-goal comeback to tie the game in the third period, the Princeton University Tigers fell 4-3 in overtime against the Brown University Bears in an Ivy League matchup. Princeton is now 9-10-1 overall and 5-9 in conference play.

Mia Coene, Annie Kuehl and Maggie Connors each netted a goal for the Tigers. Kuehl and Connors led the team with seven shots each, and Jennifer Olnowich had 18 saves in net for the Tigers.


The first period started with a shot from Chloe Harvey, but it was saved by Brown's goaltender Kaley Doyle. Meadow Carman bounced back for the Bears with a shot of her own, but it missed wide. The Tigers then went on to have 12 shots in a row, but they were either saved or blocked by the Bears' defense. Sarah Fillier had three shots in that dominant offensive streak. Brown came back with two shots, followed by Princeton taking charge again, having shots from Harvey and Katherine Khramtsov.

At the 16:39 mark in the period, Brown found the back of the net. Cameron Sikich received the puck on the left side of the rink and slotted it through the players in front of her to sneak it past Olnowich. The Tigers tried to come back in the first period, but none of their shots made it into the net. The first period ended with Brown leading 1-0.

The goaltenders of each team dominated the second period. Fillier started the second period by taking a shot that Doyle saved. Maya Mangiafico and Sikich each had a shot for the Bears, but luckily for Princeton, Olnowich saved both of them. Princeton kept the shots firing, but Doyle came up big every time to deny the Tigers the tying goal.

Brown only had 13 shots on goal in the period, while Princeton had 24 total shots. The Tigers may have dominated offensively this period, but Doyle and the defense came up big for the Bears to stop Princeton's attacks. The second period ended with Brown still leading 1-0.

The third period proved to be the most exciting, especially for Princeton fans. Three minutes into the period, Princeton finally scored. Fillier intercepted the pass from Brown and skated down the ice before playing a pass behind her for Connors, who took the first-time shot. This marked Fillier's 13th assist of the season and Connor's eighth goal of the season.

Despite their tying goal, Brown scored again two minutes later to take the lead. Jade Iginla won the Bears' faceoff, took it past Olnowich to the left side of the net, and slotted it in. Brown now led 2-1. For the next four minutes, Princeton dominated offensively but could not find the back of the net. Brown took advantage of the faceoff they won to score their third goal of the game. Ellie Gauvin received the puck and took a long wrist shot that landed in the back of the net. Brown led 3-1.

At the 12:36 mark, Princeton finally got their second goal. Dominique Cormier sent the puck across to Kuehl, who took the shot and found the puck in the net past Doyle. This was her fourth goal of the season. Brown tried to increase their lead with two shots following the goal, but Olnowich was able to save them. The Tigers finally found the tying goal in the 14th minute of the period.

Kate Monihan fired the initial shot, which was deflected, and Coene poked the puck in to tie the game 3-3. This was Coene's second goal of the season. The period ended 3-3, resulting in an extra overtime period. Princeton let shots fly in the first couple minutes of overtime, but Brown ultimately found the winning goal, with Madie Stockfish finding the back of the net. The game finished with Brown winning 4-3 in overtime.

What's Up next for the Tigers?

The Tigers return to the rink against Quinnipiac University Bobcats on Saturday, Jan. 28th, at 1 p.m. in Hamden, CT. You can watch your Princeton Tigers on ESPN+.